Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Christmas Cookies

My husband took our older boys to the elementary school tonight for the holiday fun night that they go to every year. So that meant I was home alone with the little one (who would not have enjoyed the crowd at the school), who happily played with his brothers' Beyblades and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I baked.

First I made the Toll House Recipe for chocolate cookies. Instead of the white chocolate chips that the recipe called for, I added Andes candy bits. I'd been having a wicked craving for mint and chocolate! The cookies came out fantastic and I was inspired. 

Next up: Candy Cane Kiss Cookies from Recipe Girl. I followed the recipe and her directions (almost) exactly. Instead of cutting up a bunch of Hershey Kisses to put in the batter, I used Andes peppermint crunch bits. I omitted the peppermint extract, and I was very happy that I did. The flavor from the Andes candies and the kisses were plenty! To be perfectly honest, the cookies are so good all by themselves, I'll be making them again just as sugar cookies!  

When it came time to put the kisses on the cookies, I made my first mistake. I had them all open ahead of time, but I took my time putting them on. Then I put them in the refrigerator instead of the highly recommended freezer. Huge mistake! My kisses ended up looking like this on the first dozen: 

So for the next tray, I put the Kisses on a little faster and put the entire cookie sheet directly in the freezer. What a huge difference it made! This time, they looked like this: 


Of course, because sometimes I just can't help myself, I had to try one more change. I didn't like how small the diameter of the cookies were in comparison to the Kisses. So after rolling them into balls and coating them in sugar, I flattened them with the bottom of a glass. This made much bigger cookies (with the same amount of dough), but they didn't look nearly as charming. I actually really like the cracks that are created when you squish the cookie with Kisses.
Festive cookies on a festive plate!
The recipe states that this recipe makes 2.5 dozen. I managed to make 39 cookies, and since I didn't chop up the Kisses for the dough, I had a few Kisses left over for my little munchkin to eat!

So all in all, these cookies were a huge success. They taste amazing, and they go quite nicely with my new Christmas platter! :) This recipe will be definitely be added to my repertoire!

1 comment:

RecipeGirl said...

yay! Glad they were a success!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews