I've used this recipe a few times now and just love it. It's a recipe from Betty Feezor who used to be on TV. Because I always have the ingredients on hand, I never buy brownie mixes anymore!
Scratch Brownies from Betty Feezor via Cyndi Allison
- 1 cup butter or margarine (melted)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 cups plain flour
- optional - nuts, raisins, chocolate chunks, caramel pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream margarine and sugar. This works well with a mixer, but you can do it by hand.
- After the creaming stage, do switch to a spoon for mixing. Brownies tend to get tough if worked too much.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix just until smooth.
- Pour in cocoa and flour. Again, mix until smooth and lumps are broken up. But, don't go to wild on the mixing.
- If you want to add extras, just fold those in easily.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in 2 pans size 8 inches by 8 inches. You can use a larger pan like the 9 x 9 and cook for a little longer-25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. If you use a single pan, then the Scratch Brownies are thicker.