Today I went shopping for the "Angel" that I'm sponsoring for Christmas. His name is Jeremiah and he is 8 years old. He asked for clothes. Pants in particular. He didn't ask for a Beyblade, which is all my kids can talk about. He didn't ask for Bakugan, video games or a skateboard. He asked for something he needed, which I think is both smart, and incredibly sad. The budget for our gifts is supposed to be $25-30, and I spent close to $40. I had to! I couldn't just get the boy a pair of pants. I had to get him a matching shirt. And who wants (just) clothes for Christmas?
So after I bought the pants and a Bakugan at Kohl's, I took my children to Target to help pick out a toy and a shirt for him. We had the discussion about why we are donating these gifts, and how sad it is that this boy might not get any other Christmas presents. I think they got it. They picked out a Beyblade with a launcher, and a shirt with a football on it. They're 7 and 9, so who better to ask about what an 8 year old would want?!
I hope Jeremiah likes his gifts. I hope he gets to open at least a few presents filled with what he wants on Christmas morning. If not, I know that we did something great for this little boy, and in the process, my boys learned a very important lesson about charity.
1 comment:
Love that! Makes me cry!
Post a Comment