Life has thrown me a couple of curve balls lately, and I feel like I need to write about it to help me process. What I had planned for the next few years is now up in the air. My plan was to start school in the fall to get my Surgical Technician certification. I was going to start working full time next year in the fall, and life would continue with us as a family of 5. Now I'm not sure that school is an option this year, or if we will someday be a family of 6.
So here is what happened...I went to take my math placement test at the community college that I planned to attend. I aced the test and everything was good, until the advisor told me that I would need to take anatomy and physiology BEFORE I could start the surg. tech program. According to their website A & P is part of the first semester of classes. I had no idea I would need that before I would be admitted! They only start classes for this program in the fall, so she said that I would be looking at fall 2010 to get started. Have I mentioned that that wasn't part of the plan? She said that I could add my name to the applicant "pool" but that they only take about 16 or so students out of about 30 and most of them will have already had A & P, putting me farther down on the list. I'm just so frustrated! I thought I had it all planned out and now I don't know what to do. I'm taking a CNA class starting in April, so hopefully I can get a weekend job with that until I start school...
My second curve ball? My husband has said that he would not get snipped if I really want another baby. He said we could revisit the idea when the baby is about 18 months. Instead of jumping for joy though, I'm kind of torn. As much as I want another baby, I had a plan!!! Another baby doesn't fit into that plan. I can't afford to have 2 kids in daycare, so going to school wouldn't be worth it. If I found a job as a CNA on the weekends that I really enjoyed, I could do that with 2 kids, but I think my husband would kill me! I don't think he would be okay staying at home with 4 kids for 12 hours at a time, especially when the youngest would be an infant.
I had finally accepted that our family was complete, and for good reason, and now I just don't know. I know that there are no guarantees in life, and even if we decided to have another one, we would have to do IVF again. It worked once, but what if it didn't work the next time? What if we had a baby with special needs? But what if we could finally have a girl? Or a boy who actually looked like me? I love being pregnant, and I would love to have another baby, but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do. Besides, he just said we would table the discussion until the baby is 18 months old. He didn't say he would agree to it.
So now I need a new plan...but it looks like that plan is going to have to be flexible. I have a lot of thinking to do.
1 comment:
Good luck! Remember - just because the data and the dates change doesn't mean your original plan was wrong.
You had a plan for going to school, getting a certificate and getting a job. That was slowed down because you're missing a couple of courses - so your choices are to wait. Try to get in without the courses, or see if the courses are offered at another college - or a online/correspondence school where you can transfer credits. If you do have to wait a year - it's not the end of the world, if you need a job in the meantime it sounds like you can find something to do short term and then go to school when you have the pre-reqs.
As for more kids - just because the option is there, doesn't mean you need to go ahead with it if it doesn't make sense in any other part of your life. Alternatively, if you want another baby the details will sort themselves out.
You have time to think about it - you'll come up with the right decision for your family :).
Good Luck!! Remember that life is what happens when we're busy making plans :).
Post a Comment