I am just amazed at how "connected" we all are, without actually speaking to people in person. I am a perfect example of this. I have 2 blogs, one about my family and this running commentary. I am addicted to Face.book and recently signed up with Twitt.er, all in an effort to be and stay connected to my friends and family. The thing that I find most amusing is that I would find out a whole lot more (most of the time) if I just picked up the phone and used some of my 800+ minutes! Are we really so busy that we can't make personal contact anymore?
I think it says something about our society as a whole that we would rather sign into Face.book and view from the outside, than actually being a part of someone else's life. Take for instance the high school friend you haven't spoken to in 10 or 15 years who recently sent you a "friend" request. Come on, you know you have one! You accept graciously because you're curious what he/she and his/her family look like. You want to know the gossip and see the pictures but not really talk to that person! Am I right?
The same goes for the blogs that we read. It's a great way to follow along with our friends' lives, but also a source of entertainment. Admit it, you feel better about your own life sometimes after you read a few blogs! Sometimes you might even learn a thing or two from a blog...like how to make something. I read a ton of craft blogs to get ideas for new things to make, but I would learn a lot faster and probably be a lot better at my craft if I actually took a class with (gasp) real people.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not advocating a disconnect from all of these things. Like most things in life, moderation and balance are key. So keep writing (and reading) blogs and sharing your life on Face.book and twitter. But take a little time to connect by voice or in person with those people you treasure. You'll be amazed at how good that makes you feel!
No comments:
Post a Comment