Saturday, August 15, 2009

My First Homemade Cake

I grew up with a Mom who made all (or most) of my birthday cakes and Halloween costumes. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate it much then, but as I get older, I realize that she may have been on to something! I've been a sewing fool lately, and I'm really hoping that while my Mom is hear for the boys' party next weekend, she will show me how to do a few things that I haven't tried yet, like putting in zippers, and making clothes! She made all of her own clothes throughout high school, so she is a good resource for me!

Anyway, the point of this post is about the cake. I made my first ever, made from scratch yellow cake with homemade buttercream frosting. It is my intention to make both of the cakes for next week's party, and since today is my middle son's actual birthday, I thought it would be a good time to practice my technique. It's a good thing I did, because it didn't go quite as planned! Here's a picture of the cake baking in the oven:


Notice how it's overflowing onto the cookie sheet below it! I had to cut the top off when it was done and then part of the middle sank as it cooled.



Here is the finished product. I'm actually pretty proud of it!



Hopefully it will taste as good as it looks!

Edited to add: This cake was good, but I have come a long way since then! I have taken up baking as a hobby!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews